Seite 2 von 3 ErsteErste 123 LetzteLetzte
Ergebnis 21 bis 40 von 41
    ehemaliges mitglied
    Gast
    John,
    Yes, you are right, I was not reading every sentence, so I missed the fact, that this Omega is a used one. The blue shine is a known problem, but that the scratches occurs that quick and easy was new to me.

I apologize John. The picture is great!

"Applying a coating to the topside of a sapphire crystal is a horrible mistake, and you can see why in the above photo. While the crystal is scratch resistant due to the man-made sapphire from which it is cut, the coating applied to the crystal can be scratched and will eventually show up, as you can see is happening to Scott's PO. Additionally, the dual coating gives the dial a distinct and (in my opinion) unattractive blue hue from certain lighting angles, which you can also see in the above photos. Both of these problems are avoided when the AR coating is simply applied to the underside of the crystal, where it can't be scratched - Omega did this with the Seamaster Professional, so its a mystery to me as to why they changed direction with the Planet Ocean."

Sorry, thanks!

Gr,
    István

Geprüftes Mitglied
    Very interesting....i agree the sea dweller is a timeless classic, what a great watch...and also agree that the omega clasp is fantastic....rolex could do better here. Thank you for sharing.
    CY, Christian
    Den Haien entrann ich
    Die Tiger erlegte ich
    Aufgefressen wurde ich
    Von den Wanzen.
    (B. Brecht)

Sea-Dweller
    Thanks for sharing John,

great report, very nice pics.

Having owned both, I do disagrree on the bracelet and clasp, the PO bracelet is very solid and heavy, yes, but it's main drawback is the fact, that the wearer can not perform any fine adjustments, for one, the Omega uses the pin system and further the clasp can only be adjusted for wearing it over a wetsuit.

The SD bracelet using screws and having the fine adjustment on the clasp is imho way more practical and comfortable.

Just my 2C

Cheers,

Christian
    Gruß,

Christian

Bekämpft die Apostrophitis: Genitiv und Plural kommen im Deutschen gut ohne Apostroph aus (ist das eigentlich wirklich so schwer?).

Submariner
    Hello John, very good review.
    Despite what do you like or what will be "in" at 10 years time there is no true reason to have a divers watch with orange numbers because at after a 10m depth there is no colour to be seen.
    Omega finaly copied the bezel of rolex, the older classical style of the seamaster was impossible to turn in the water and specialy with gloves. I used to have one when I was doing scuba diving. Certainly the clasp looks and works in a more modern way that the flip lock but it realy isn't as safe not to open accintentaly. So I think the more points there for the OP are not so good but is a matter of taste. Also on the beach it used to collect sand in between and was impossible to open it.
    Also the non automated helium ventil of the omega makes it not that practical. surely the divers in the decompresion champer have more things to worry than opening the crown, and surely is not such easy thing to do or to remember with the gloves on, or even with the wet cold hands after the diving.
    So I believe the Omega marketing is still orientated to make nice watches to look but not realy to use.
    Schoene Gruesse aus der Sonneninsel Rhodos

Yacht-Master
    Themenstarter
    Original von Penzes
    John,
    Yes, you are right, I was not reading every sentence, so I missed the fact, that this Omega is a used one. The blue shine is a known problem, but that the scratches occurs that quick and easy was new to me.

I apologize John. The picture is great!

"Applying a coating to the topside of a sapphire crystal is a horrible mistake, and you can see why in the above photo. While the crystal is scratch resistant due to the man-made sapphire from which it is cut, the coating applied to the crystal can be scratched and will eventually show up, as you can see is happening to Scott's PO. Additionally, the dual coating gives the dial a distinct and (in my opinion) unattractive blue hue from certain lighting angles, which you can also see in the above photos. Both of these problems are avoided when the AR coating is simply applied to the underside of the crystal, where it can't be scratched - Omega did this with the Seamaster Professional, so its a mystery to me as to why they changed direction with the Planet Ocean."

Sorry, thanks!

Gr,
    István
    No problem Istvan. I've never understood why a watch company will build a watch with a scratch resistant sapphire crystal, then place a coating over top of it that will eventually show scratches. Breitling watches use double AR coated crystals quite extensively.
    John B. Holbrook, II
    OWNER - LUXURY TYME: The Rolex Reference Page

Yacht-Master
    Themenstarter
    Original von Dimitris
    Hello John, very good review.
    Despite what do you like or what will be "in" at 10 years time there is no true reason to have a divers watch with orange numbers because at after a 10m depth there is no colour to be seen.
    Omega finaly copied the bezel of rolex, the older classical style of the seamaster was impossible to turn in the water and specialy with gloves. I used to have one when I was doing scuba diving. Certainly the clasp looks and works in a more modern way that the flip lock but it realy isn't as safe not to open accintentaly. So I think the more points there for the OP are not so good but is a matter of taste. Also on the beach it used to collect sand in between and was impossible to open it.
    Also the non automated helium ventil of the omega makes it not that practical. surely the divers in the decompresion champer have more things to worry than opening the crown, and surely is not such easy thing to do or to remember with the gloves on, or even with the wet cold hands after the diving.
    So I believe the Omega marketing is still orientated to make nice watches to look but not realy to use.
    Thanks Dimitris! :P

You raise many good points. Although, the criticism of Omega copying the bezel may not be a legitimate one. You see, the old Seamaster 300's used a coin edge bezel similar to what's now used on the PO. Did Omega borrow from Rolex back then? Or the other way around? Some say that Rolex borrowed from the Blancpain 50 fathoms with the Sub design.... It's all very subjective.
    John B. Holbrook, II

Submariner
    even if they both copied it from Blancpain, Rolex saw straight away the practical design for the use and adopted it while omega was changing it over years just for having a different design I believe.
    I used to be an Omega fan years ago but I saw many things that made me at last a Rolex nut.

Submariner
    But despite of all these the SD is the watch worn by most profecional divers and the only watch worn in real circumstances at a depth of 701m.
    Is the only true "sea dweller"

Deepsea
    John, thak you very much for your stunning review of two very interesting watches!

Good pictures and nicely written as enjoyed in your other reviews.

Best regards, Tobias
    "Es gibt kein richtiges Leben im falschen"

Theodor W. Adorno

Minima Moralia

Yacht-Master
    (As always) - Very, very interesting review, John!
    I'd prefer the Sea-Dweller as my wristwatch
    Test

PREMIUM MEMBER Avatar von jk737
    John:
    Many thanks and congrats to your review!
    Regards
    Grüße -- Jürgen

Geprüftes Mitglied Avatar von PVH

RE: REVIEW: The Rolex Sea-Dweller vs. The Omega Planet Ocean>>>>

THX for the GREAT Review
    "Der größte Erfolg des Zeitgeistes: Alle haben Uhren - niemand hat Zeit!" - Ernst Ferstl

Greets Marc

Yacht-Master
    Themenstarter
    Original von Dimitris
    even if they both copied it from Blancpain, Rolex saw straight away the practical design for the use and adopted it while omega was changing it over years just for having a different design I believe.
    I used to be an Omega fan years ago but I saw many things that made me at last a Rolex nut.
    A Tag Heuer 2000 was my first diver style watch, followed by several Omegas....I still have respect and admiration for the brand.
    John B. Holbrook, II

Yacht-Master
    Themenstarter
    Original von Tobimat2000
    John, thak you very much for your stunning review of two very interesting watches!

Good pictures and nicely written as enjoyed in your other reviews.

Best regards, Tobias
    Thanks for the kind words!
    John B. Holbrook, II

Deepsea
    you are very welcome!

since i have read your review about the omega seamaster gmt and the ex II (which i own myself for 16 years now) three weeks ago , i started to learn more about rolex, became member in this forum and bought another one: a 1979 reference # 16014.

in other words: the virus has taken control on me

Theodor W. Adorno

Minima Moralia

Yacht-Master
    Themenstarter
    Original von Tobimat2000
    you are very welcome!

since i have read your review about the omega seamaster gmt and the ex II (which i own myself for 16 years now) three weeks ago , i started to learn more about rolex, became member in this forum and bought another one: a 1979 reference # 16014.

in other words: the virus has taken control on me
    It happens to the best of us...the question is, do we really want to be cured?
    John B. Holbrook, II

Deepsea

i am not really sure about that...

Theodor W. Adorno

Minima Moralia

GMT-Master

great as usual...

Gruss Alex
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ICH WEISS ICH HÄTTE NICHT UND SOLLTE DOCH
    ICH MÜSSTE ENDLICH
    ÜBERHAUPT ICH WÜRDE SCHON NOCH
    UND ICH WERDE AUCH
    (sabine techel)

Hauptforensemmler Avatar von chris01
    great report with great pictures

very well done john!
    mfg Christoph

Yacht-Master
    Themenstarter