Hey Guys,

Sunday I did a lume comparison shot of the new White Gold Submariner and the 16613 Submariner. I saw something interesting - typically when I compare a Maxi Dial Rolex (like the Yacht-Master for example) to a non-Maxi Dial Rolex (like my 16613), the Maxi Dial Rolex will appear to have a brighter dial. Most agree this is becuase there's more surface area on the maxi-dial hands and markers on which to apply SuperLuminova, there for it has a brigher glow. However, the new White Gold Submariner uses a new SuperLuminova formulation which allows the markers to glow in a different color than the traditional green SuperLuminova glow of years past. In the case of the White Gold Submariner (and the new Deep Sea) they've been given a blue lume glow.

When I processed the photos from Sunday, I noticed that the blue lume White Gold Submariner had a somewhat muted quality to the glow...the non-maxi dial 16613 appeared to have a brighter dial to my eye. So I decided to see what my Yacht-Master would look like next to the blue glowing Submariner:

To my eye, the Yacht-Master on the right has a brighter, more fiery glow. My guess is that whatever process they're using to change the color of the glow, does have a somewhat adverse impact on the brightness of the glow.

Thoughts?