Ergebnis 1 bis 5 von 5

Thema: Polishing

Air-King

Polishing

Hi all. I recently got back my AK from the Rolex service centre. It's working like a dream now. However. it has a few dings on the inside edge of the lugs. They are surface scratches and I was wondering if there was any way to dull the marks. I have a silver polishing cloth with a mild abrasive that I could use but I'm not sure. Will it damage the finish? Will it wear away the metal too much? I tried it out on another less valuable watch and it appeared to leave a grey mark on the cloth, presumably dirt or is it some of the metal?
    I'm a bit insecure about this so any advice would be good.
    Thanks in advance. Joseph-John.
    P.S getting digital camera soon so will be able to post some eye-candy!!!
    JJ MARKEY

Super-Moderator Avatar von NicoH
    I´d say leave it as it is. If you try to polish a watch yourself, you will most likely take away some of the original finishing. Plus, dings on the inside edge of the lugs... how are they visible anyway?

Did it come from the RSC with the dings, or did you put them on the watch yourself after it returned?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway.

Air-King
    Themenstarter
    Yes, it came back from the service centre with them. I scanned the watch before I sent it for every dink I had made myself. There were none on the lugs what so ever. They are not that bad I suppose they are a bit raggedy. I was just wanting to give them a bit of a buff with a polishing cloth to smooth them off and make them less, well eye catching!
    JJ MARKEY

Super-Moderator Avatar von NicoH
    How far away from the RSC are you? Would it be an option to just go back and politely show them the marks that they left? I am sure they would be more than happy to straighten things out for you again
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway.

Air-King
    Themenstarter
    Well, no it's in London and I'm in Glasgow. Maybe they were there before and I didn't notice. I like dings & scratches, it makes a watch interesting, gives it a history or else It's a museum piece never to be touched. I gave the edge a little buff with the cloth and it looks better now. I just wasn't sure what to do incase I removed too much of the metal and changed the profile/shape of one of the lugs thus making my watch un-symmetrical.
    I get a bit OCD about these things at times.
    I suppose old watches that get sent in for re-furbishment get more of their metal buffed away due to the age etc of the watch. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing....
    JJ MARKEY

Lesezeichen

Lesezeichen