PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Rolex, Daytona and the Drivers.

delgado
30.01.2008, 06:06
Its without question that winners at Rolex 24hrs at Daytona are given watches to commemorate their achievement. So that is about 7-8 watches per year.

I had the chance to discuss this issue with a Daytona driver and previous winner of the race. He is also a watch collector. I will withhold the name for the usual reasons.

Its pretty clear that winning is like watch collecting, you always need one more. Secondly, the real prize for many IS that winning watch! Drivers coveted those winning SS daytonas.. very important.

He was aware that one recently came to market at a very high price.

He also confirmed that until a few years ago, the watches had a black dial but now they all come with a white dial.

He also confirmed that the watches do not have the name of the drivers in the caseback as they are given about 30 min after the end of the race, so no time to engrave.

We had a pretty interesting conversation and hopefully next year, he will be able to add another winning daytona watch to his collection..

Hannes
30.01.2008, 06:43
Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

jholbrook
30.01.2008, 14:26
Originally posted by Hannes
Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

I second that notion! :gut:

416rimless
30.01.2008, 14:53
Interesting :gut:, thank´s for the info!

PCS
30.01.2008, 17:08
Very interesting. Do you know since which year they give away these watches?

Hannibal
30.01.2008, 21:47
Original von delgado
Its pretty clear that winning is like watch collecting, you always need one more.
... very interesting connection. :gut:

Kind regards
Volker

bullibeer
30.01.2008, 22:57
He Ed,.. you are talking about Eric's Daytona,...???
How much was it ;-).. just to know about how much money we are talking???

delgado
30.01.2008, 23:12
Bernhard

I dont think it was Erics watch but its interesting that he has one.

delgado

bullibeer
31.01.2008, 06:00
Original von delgado
Bernhard

I dont think it was Erics watch but its interesting that he has one.

delgado

Yes it's on his website... one from 1996....

>>
Rolex has had an affiliation with auto racing for many years, and their main sponsored event is the 24 hours of Daytona, raced in January of every year in Daytona Beach Florida. This winning team (2 drivers) in each class is awarded with a Rolex Daytona with a special engraving on the caseback commemorating the event. This particular watch was purchased from a family member of one of the winning drivers in the GTS-1 class. This is a very rare and coveted watch, as less than 10 are given out each year.

>>> POA

Have a great day/night...

Bernhard