PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Watch Industry Expose Article in THE WALL STREET JOURNAL>>>

jholbrook
21.10.2007, 15:34
We get the Journal at the office, and right on the front page of the "bible" on October 8th was a huge article relating to the watch industry. Here's a link on their website:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119178753176051433.html?mod=hpp_us_pageone

I consider this article (dare I say expose?) a pretty BIG DEAL. It's particularly damaging to Patek, Omega, and Antiquorum (the new owners of Timezone).

I also wasn't aware that Osvaldo Patrizzi had been ousted from Antiquorum...though it sounds like for reasons other than the focus of the article.

Does the article change how you feel about brands like Omega and Patek? for me it does. Rolex? I have first hand knowledge that Rolex DOES NOT directly participate in Antiquorum's auctions - though I never knew why until now. Perhaps their wanting to remain above such accusations are at the core - notice that while the article does point out that Antiquorum has had Rolex auctions, they do not name Rolex as they do Patek and Omega as brands that have taken part in direct bidding.

Your thoughts?

newharry
21.10.2007, 16:13
Thank your for the article - it has already been discussed controversial in various forums - there is not much news for most of the old stagers in the world of watches - but nevertheless a very intersting read! =)

Very often watch brands buy "their own" watches in various auctions for their museum or other reasons - but it is interesting to notice that in some cases just commercial reasons seem to be important.

However I wonder if Rolex would never try to buy such a watch if there is no other way to obtain a rare example of a specific model - even if it is sold by Antiquorum? Perhaps in such cases nobody would know but the very inner circle ... ?

jholbrook
21.10.2007, 16:23
Originally posted by newharry
Thank your for the article - it has already been discussed controversial in various forums - there is not much news for most of the old stagers in the world of watches - but nevertheless a very intersting read! =)

Very often watch brands buy "their own" watches in various auctions for their museum or other reasons - but it is interesting to notice that in some cases just commercial reasons seem to be important.

However I wonder if Rolex would never try to buy such a watch if there is no other way to obtain a rare example of a specific model - even if it is sold by Antiquorum? Perhaps in such cases nobody would know but the very inner circle ... ?

Oh I know for a fact that Rolex buys watches from both eBay and Antiquorum through proxy bidders....no harm in doing that. But Rolex would never parner with Antiquorum the way Omega and Patek have to manipulate market prices or to influence the perception of the brand. :gut: