PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : My 1970 1680 "Red Sub" arrived >>>

jholbrook
18.10.2007, 12:17
The FedEx guy brought the packack and I tore into it. So far, I'm quite pleased. The dial is whiter than the previous model I had. How much so is hard to say until a new crystal is put on the watch. But here's how it looked right out of the box.

NOTE: Please excuse these embarrasingly bad photos...I guess I was so excited that these hand held shots didn't come out great....next time, the tripod!!! >:(

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/jholbrook/Red%20Submariner/redsub70desk.jpg

The hands look better than expected....I won't replace them.

No major problems with the case either. :P

So I jetted off to my my local watch repair center (these guys are Rolex guys through and through...top talent). Here's a shot of the movement.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/jholbrook/Red%20Submariner/redsub70movement.jpg

The movement is REALLY clean...again, similar if not better than the last 1680 I had. We hooked it up to the timing maching, and it had a nice, consistent rate, so again, no issues.

I left it in good hands - it may need a new crown and winding tube as neither myself or the technician like how it felt when screwing down the crown - but that's minor. The new bezel insert is on order (NOTE: No need to write to me with offers to buy the old insert - I'm keeping all the original parts. ;D )

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/jholbrook/Red%20Submariner/redsub70desk2.jpg

Hannes
18.10.2007, 12:44
WOW :verneig:

Waiting for better pics in "John-Style" =)

newharry
18.10.2007, 13:06
Didn't you sell this one? The Restoration of my Red Sub, Part I>>>>>> (http://www.r-l-x.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=48481&sid=&hilight=1680&hilightuser=4824)

Will you keep the new one?

In either case a great restauration project! Looking forward to some picture story :gut:

jholbrook
18.10.2007, 14:35
Originally posted by newharry
Didn't you sell this one? The Restoration of my Red Sub, Part I>>>>>> (http://www.r-l-x.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=48481&sid=&hilight=1680&hilightuser=4824)

Will you keep the new one?

In either case a great restauration project! Looking forward to some picture story :gut:

The intention is definitely to keep this one as it is a 1970 - the year I was born. That makes it even more special to me. :jump:

This one has much brighter markers than the last, which makes it more attractive to me. I know most people prefer a strong patina, but...what can I say...I like white. :ka:

newharry
18.10.2007, 15:20
Original von jholbrook
The intention is definitely to keep this one as it is a 1970 - the year I was born. That makes it even more special to me. :jump:

This one has much brighter markers than the last, which makes it more attractive to me. I know most people prefer a strong patina, but...what can I say...I like white. :ka:

Nothing wrong with that :gut: ... and definitively a keeper as a watch of your "vintage" =)

ehemaliges mitglied
18.10.2007, 16:04
Originally posted by jholbrook
.... I know most people prefer a strong patina, but...what can I say...I like white. :ka:

You are not alone, John :gut:

jholbrook
18.10.2007, 17:32
Originally posted by Hadoque

.... I know most people prefer a strong patina, but...what can I say...I like white. :ka:

Thanks Hadoque! :dr:

watchman
18.10.2007, 17:51
Original von Hadoque

also exactly what i prefer! good to know not to be alone. :gut:

nice watch john !

ClausL
18.10.2007, 17:52
WONDERFUL WATCH JOHN!

Smile
18.10.2007, 19:36
VERY VERY NICE !!!! :verneig:

Gerard
19.10.2007, 13:40
I hope as well that this one is a keeper John... :gut:

Would make a GREAT gift to your son one day, a watch ''made'' the same year as his dad.. ;)

Kind regards,
GJ

COMEX
19.10.2007, 14:13
Woow! A great find, John! Have a lot of fun with your SUBBY!

jholbrook
19.10.2007, 22:18
Originally posted by Gerard
I hope as well that this one is a keeper John... :gut:

Would make a GREAT gift to your son one day, a watch ''made'' the same year as his dad.. ;)

Kind regards,
GJ

Very good point GJ! :gut:

jholbrook
21.10.2007, 13:45
Hey guys!

Quick update - it looks like I'll get my watch back sometime on Tuesday. Friday I was called and during the process of overhauling the movement, they found that the pallet fork needs replacing. Fortunately, the correct part was available from a supplier, and should be in my service guys hands on Tuesday. :gut: So unless something else forseen happens, I'll have my 1680 back on Tuesday!

Gerard
21.10.2007, 19:38
That's great news John... :gut: :gut:

can't wait to see some of your great pictures of that ''red one''... ;)

jholbrook
22.10.2007, 02:14
Originally posted by Gerard
That's great news John... :gut: :gut:

can't wait to see some of your great pictures of that ''red one''... ;)

And I can't wait to take 'em! :jump:

Fastclimber
10.11.2007, 17:03
WOW!!! :gut: