PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : 5512...Seeking Expert Info On Dial and Bezel Markings

Bob D
02.10.2007, 13:41
Hello All,

This is my first post to this forum. :gut:b

I'm a Rolex collector/enthusiast, not a professional dealer. I buy, sell, and trade vintage Rolex watches and love to learn about the finer points of Rolex pieces. Currently I'm seeking a nice, representative, matte dial, all original 5512 or 5513. I've been warned by those who know far more than me (most people) :op: :], that there are a lot of fake pieces out there, and also a lot of pieced-together watches X(. I'm also unwilling to buy by mail from outside the U.S.A. because of the U.S. Customs regulations on imported Rolex watches :motz:.

I'm led to believe that Sub 5512's never have "SUBMARINER" as the first line of info on the dial. The first line should be the depth rating, either meters first or feet first, depending on the year of manufacture.

I'm also led to believe that from 1959-68, the correct marking for a 5512 dial is meters first, with SUBMARINER in the second line; from 1969-77, the correct marking is feet first, SUBMARINER in the second line; in 1978 (last year of 5512 production :grb: :grb:) SUBMARINER is the first line with feet first in the second line.

Also led to believe that a 5512 bezel with thin font is a replacement bezel. (If true, is this true of all model Submariners? :grb:).

How does a replacement bezel and/or replacement pearl affect value?

Are there any online sources that sumarize detailed information on the correct markings for a 5512 :ka:?

Thanks in advance for your help! :verneig:

simon
02.10.2007, 22:48
Hi Bob,

I am not much of an expert regarding the 5512, but maybe you want to take a look at the 5512s in the gallery of this board.

Rolex Submariner - 5512, 5513, 5514, 5517 (http://www.r-l-x.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=3392&sid=)

picasso
02.10.2007, 22:54
I Think you learned a lot ;)! In my view, a replacement bezel / pearl is not a big issue in such an old watch regarding the value. A replacement dial affects more the value.