PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : REVIEW: The Rolex Sea-Dweller vs. The Omega Planet Ocean>>>>

jholbrook
03.02.2007, 22:13
Greatings R-L-X!

Click on the link below to read my comparative review of these two great rivals:

http://rolexreferencepage.com/SDPO/sd%20vs%20po.html

Comments and discussion are welcomed and encouraged!

Dr. K
03.02.2007, 22:24
Thanks!

Interesting review!

"WINNER: Sea-Dweller." ;)

Greetings,
Marco.

ehemaliges mitglied
03.02.2007, 22:27
John, your conclusion, or oppinion is right:

"From a less objective, and more personal standpoint - there's considerably more than two points between these two watches - the Planet Ocean just isn't for me, and I much prefer the Seamaster Professional from Omega. For me, the PO is just too darn big in the 45.5mm size, I don't like the flat black dial....."

I'm a little disapointed by one of the PO pic's, I see some "marks" on the glas of the watch.

Thanks for sharing!

Gr,
István

Gerard
03.02.2007, 22:28
Thanks a LOT john.... :gut: :gut: :gut: :gut: :gut:

Kind regards,
GJ

Jaeger
03.02.2007, 22:56
Hello John,

Thanks a lot for the interesting review (again)! I have read it with great interest, and although I like Rolex a lot...I must say that I do not fully agree with your conclusion.

I myself have both watches, and for me the Planet Ocean is the obvious winner, because of its innovating design and technique. The Sea-Dweller is IMHO like an old Mercedes from the fifties that has had no innovations at all. So it is not difficult for me to point out a winner. However, it remains a question of personal taste. You obviously do not like the PO, and prefer the SD.

As it seems to me, both watches are equally good, but the thing that really matters is: does one like the one or the other and what preferences does one have.

Many thanks for the great reviews, they are all in my favourites :gut:

Regards,
Hans

jholbrook
03.02.2007, 22:58
Original von Penzes
John, your conclusion, or oppinion is right:

"From a less objective, and more personal standpoint - there's considerably more than two points between these two watches - the Planet Ocean just isn't for me, and I much prefer the Seamaster Professional from Omega. For me, the PO is just too darn big in the 45.5mm size, I don't like the flat black dial....."

I'm a little disapointed by one of the PO pic's, I see some "marks" on the glas of the watch.

Thanks for sharing!

Gr,
István

Istan - are you disapointed in my photograph or the watch?

jholbrook
03.02.2007, 23:00
Original von Jaeger
Hello John,

Thanks a lot for the interesting review (again)! I have read it with great interest, and although I like Rolex a lot...I must say that I do not fully agree with your conclusion.

I myself have both watches, and for me the Planet Ocean is the obvious winner, because of its innovating design and technique. The Sea-Dweller is IMHO like an old Mercedes from the fifties that has had no innovations at all. So it is not difficult for me to point out a winner. However, it remains a question of personal taste. You obviously do not like the PO, and prefer the SD.

As it seems to me, both watches are equally good, but the thing that really matters is: does one like the one or the other and what preferences does one have.

Many thanks for the great reviews, they are all in my favourites :gut:

Regards,
Hans

Hi Hans - I hope it came across that from an objective standpoint, both are great watches. But yes, personal opinions will vary greatly. :]

Jaeger
03.02.2007, 23:02
Hello John,

Yes it did!

Thanks again,
Hans

jholbrook
03.02.2007, 23:04
Original von Gerard
Thanks a LOT john.... :gut: :gut: :gut: :gut: :gut:

Kind regards,
GJ

You are most welcome! :gut:

OrangeHand
03.02.2007, 23:56
Thank´s alot for your great review. I really enjoy these kind of comparative watch reviews, in that they allow for structured analysis of the details & features which make said watches being great diving tools. :gut:

I agree with your conclusion that the SD is a timeless classic, and after all the many years still one of the most beatifull diving watches on the market. =)

jholbrook
04.02.2007, 17:54
Original von OrangeHand
Thank´s alot for your great review. I really enjoy these kind of comparative watch reviews, in that they allow for structured analysis of the details & features which make said watches being great diving tools. :gut:

I agree with your conclusion that the SD is a timeless classic, and after all the many years still one of the most beatifull diving watches on the market. =)

Thanks much for the kind words Frank! :supercool:

Reinhard
04.02.2007, 18:39
Hi John,

what a great review. Though wearing a PO (small size) I share your point of view. I like my PO very much, but case and movement of the SD are superb.

I was able to compare cal. 2500 with cal. 3135 (of my DJ), and the winner is: Rolex.

If you like to sell your PO or SD, the winner is: Rolex.

Nevertheless I love my PO.

Kind regards

jay_ti
04.02.2007, 19:37
Hi John,
congratulation, your review is a very good comparison between both watches.
For me (I have a GMT) it would be very difficult to decide between this very outstanding watches. Both are very different and both are very unique. I think a PO with 42mm would definitely come close to the SD at the end. I wish all person who have to decide between PO/SD the money to buy both.

I think all of us would like to read more reviews from you. Go ahead John :-)

Best wishes

miboroco
04.02.2007, 19:42
:verneig:

Danke!!!

Hr.Nitsche
04.02.2007, 19:48
Very nice watches, and great Pics. Thanks!

David1973
04.02.2007, 19:55
I also agree with your conclution :D

The SD is "the" classic diving watch. No chance for any Omega.

Thanks for your great review :gut:

jholbrook
04.02.2007, 21:12
Original von jay_ti
Hi John,
congratulation, your review is a very good comparison between both watches.
For me (I have a GMT) it would be very difficult to decide between this very outstanding watches. Both are very different and both are very unique. I think a PO with 42mm would definitely come close to the SD at the end. I wish all person who have to decide between PO/SD the money to buy both.

I think all of us would like to read more reviews from you. Go ahead John :-)

Best wishes

You can find other reviews from me at www.rolexreferencepage.com and www.seamasterreferencepage.com. :gut:

Thanks for the kind words!

ehemaliges mitglied
04.02.2007, 22:53
John, I meant this picture. I think, there are little tracks on the glass. Nothing big, but they are the same, than my usual fingerprints on bracelets.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7603/bdpocloseupux8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Gr,
István

Edmundo
04.02.2007, 22:56
Thanks for the comparison of the watches. Now I know that I bought the correct watch. ;)

jholbrook
05.02.2007, 04:05
Original von Penzes
John, I meant this picture. I think, there are little tracks on the glass. Nothing big, but they are the same, than my usual fingerprints on bracelets.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7603/bdpocloseupux8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Gr,
István

Istan - perhaps you weren't able to read the entire review due to it being in English, but the photo is intentional. I was demonstrating the problems of having an anti-reflective coating on the outside of the crystal.

ehemaliges mitglied
05.02.2007, 07:06
John,
Yes, you are right, I was not reading every sentence, so I missed the fact, that this Omega is a used one. The blue shine is a known problem, but that the scratches occurs that quick and easy was new to me.

I apologize John. The picture is great!

"Applying a coating to the topside of a sapphire crystal is a horrible mistake, and you can see why in the above photo. While the crystal is scratch resistant due to the man-made sapphire from which it is cut, the coating applied to the crystal can be scratched and will eventually show up, as you can see is happening to Scott's PO. Additionally, the dual coating gives the dial a distinct and (in my opinion) unattractive blue hue from certain lighting angles, which you can also see in the above photos. Both of these problems are avoided when the AR coating is simply applied to the underside of the crystal, where it can't be scratched - Omega did this with the Seamaster Professional, so its a mystery to me as to why they changed direction with the Planet Ocean."

Sorry, thanks!

Gr,
István

picasso
05.02.2007, 07:16
Very interesting....i agree the sea dweller is a timeless classic, what a great watch...and also agree that the omega clasp is fantastic....rolex could do better here. Thank you for sharing.

4rolex4me
05.02.2007, 08:53
Thanks for sharing John,

great report, very nice pics. :gut:

Having owned both, I do disagrree on the bracelet and clasp, the PO bracelet is very solid and heavy, yes, but it's main drawback is the fact, that the wearer can not perform any fine adjustments, for one, the Omega uses the pin system and further the clasp can only be adjusted for wearing it over a wetsuit.

The SD bracelet using screws and having the fine adjustment on the clasp is imho way more practical and comfortable.

Just my 2C ;)

Cheers,

Christian

Dimitris
05.02.2007, 13:47
Hello John, very good review.
Despite what do you like or what will be "in" at 10 years time there is no true reason to have a divers watch with orange numbers because at after a 10m depth there is no colour to be seen.
Omega finaly copied the bezel of rolex, the older classical style of the seamaster was impossible to turn in the water and specialy with gloves. I used to have one when I was doing scuba diving. Certainly the clasp looks and works in a more modern way that the flip lock but it realy isn't as safe not to open accintentaly. So I think the more points there for the OP are not so good but is a matter of taste. Also on the beach it used to collect sand in between and was impossible to open it.
Also the non automated helium ventil of the omega makes it not that practical. surely the divers in the decompresion champer have more things to worry than opening the crown, and surely is not such easy thing to do or to remember with the gloves on, or even with the wet cold hands after the diving.
So I believe the Omega marketing is still orientated to make nice watches to look but not realy to use.

jholbrook
05.02.2007, 14:15
Original von Penzes
John,
Yes, you are right, I was not reading every sentence, so I missed the fact, that this Omega is a used one. The blue shine is a known problem, but that the scratches occurs that quick and easy was new to me.

I apologize John. The picture is great!

"Applying a coating to the topside of a sapphire crystal is a horrible mistake, and you can see why in the above photo. While the crystal is scratch resistant due to the man-made sapphire from which it is cut, the coating applied to the crystal can be scratched and will eventually show up, as you can see is happening to Scott's PO. Additionally, the dual coating gives the dial a distinct and (in my opinion) unattractive blue hue from certain lighting angles, which you can also see in the above photos. Both of these problems are avoided when the AR coating is simply applied to the underside of the crystal, where it can't be scratched - Omega did this with the Seamaster Professional, so its a mystery to me as to why they changed direction with the Planet Ocean."

Sorry, thanks!

Gr,
István

No problem Istvan. I've never understood why a watch company will build a watch with a scratch resistant sapphire crystal, then place a coating over top of it that will eventually show scratches. :rolleyes: Breitling watches use double AR coated crystals quite extensively. :weg:

jholbrook
05.02.2007, 14:18
Original von Dimitris
Hello John, very good review.
Despite what do you like or what will be "in" at 10 years time there is no true reason to have a divers watch with orange numbers because at after a 10m depth there is no colour to be seen.
Omega finaly copied the bezel of rolex, the older classical style of the seamaster was impossible to turn in the water and specialy with gloves. I used to have one when I was doing scuba diving. Certainly the clasp looks and works in a more modern way that the flip lock but it realy isn't as safe not to open accintentaly. So I think the more points there for the OP are not so good but is a matter of taste. Also on the beach it used to collect sand in between and was impossible to open it.
Also the non automated helium ventil of the omega makes it not that practical. surely the divers in the decompresion champer have more things to worry than opening the crown, and surely is not such easy thing to do or to remember with the gloves on, or even with the wet cold hands after the diving.
So I believe the Omega marketing is still orientated to make nice watches to look but not realy to use.

Thanks Dimitris! :P

You raise many good points. Although, the criticism of Omega copying the bezel may not be a legitimate one. You see, the old Seamaster 300's used a coin edge bezel similar to what's now used on the PO. Did Omega borrow from Rolex back then? Or the other way around? Some say that Rolex borrowed from the Blancpain 50 fathoms with the Sub design.... =( It's all very subjective.

Dimitris
05.02.2007, 14:27
even if they both copied it from Blancpain, Rolex saw straight away the practical design for the use and adopted it while omega was changing it over years just for having a different design I believe.
I used to be an Omega fan years ago but I saw many things that made me at last a Rolex nut.

Dimitris
05.02.2007, 14:37
But despite of all these the SD is the watch worn by most profecional divers and the only watch worn in real circumstances at a depth of 701m.
Is the only true "sea dweller"

Tobimat2000
05.02.2007, 15:07
John, thak you very much for your stunning review of two very interesting watches!

Good pictures and nicely written as enjoyed in your other reviews.

Best regards, Tobias

Milgauss
05.02.2007, 15:13
(As always) - Very, very interesting review, John! =)
I'd prefer the Sea-Dweller as my wristwatch :)

jk737
05.02.2007, 15:46
John:
Many thanks and congrats to your review!
Regards

PVH
05.02.2007, 18:24
THX for the GREAT Review :gut:

jholbrook
05.02.2007, 21:12
Original von Dimitris
even if they both copied it from Blancpain, Rolex saw straight away the practical design for the use and adopted it while omega was changing it over years just for having a different design I believe.
I used to be an Omega fan years ago but I saw many things that made me at last a Rolex nut.

A Tag Heuer 2000 was my first diver style watch, followed by several Omegas....I still have respect and admiration for the brand. :]

jholbrook
05.02.2007, 21:12
Original von Tobimat2000
John, thak you very much for your stunning review of two very interesting watches!

Good pictures and nicely written as enjoyed in your other reviews.

Best regards, Tobias

Thanks for the kind words! :oops:

Tobimat2000
05.02.2007, 21:51
you are very welcome!

since i have read your review about the omega seamaster gmt and the ex II (which i own myself for 16 years now) three weeks ago , i started to learn more about rolex, became member in this forum and bought another one: a 1979 reference # 16014.

in other words: the virus has taken control on me

jholbrook
06.02.2007, 12:44
Original von Tobimat2000
you are very welcome!

since i have read your review about the omega seamaster gmt and the ex II (which i own myself for 16 years now) three weeks ago , i started to learn more about rolex, became member in this forum and bought another one: a 1979 reference # 16014.

in other words: the virus has taken control on me

It happens to the best of us...the question is, do we really want to be cured? :tongue:

Tobimat2000
06.02.2007, 15:17
;) ;) ;)

i am not really sure about that...

:supercool:

Alexus
06.02.2007, 23:25
great as usual...

:gut: :gut: :gut:

chris01
06.02.2007, 23:29
great report with great pictures :gut: