PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Vintage Tudor service at Rolex Service Center

Boris_Koch
07.10.2005, 10:01
Hi guys,

I just wanted to share a little experience about Rolex servicing vintage Tudor Subs. Here is a picture of my 94010 (Marine nationale M.N. 80) I just back from Rolex SC in Paris.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/flanker2000fr/TudorMN80restau.jpg

This watch originally came with square (or military) type hands and dial. Rolex told me they didn't have any spare dials of this type, so they proposed the dial you see (round/triangle indexes) which I accepted. To my great surprise, the watch came back with a new set of military hands. I was fully expecting Mercedes type hands as I thought that a) they'd ran out of stock of the military ones and b) they would care about consistency between dials and hands. Not that I complain: I like these hands and I am glad to keep the watch in this configuration. As I have kept the original, square marker dial, I will probably get it restaured some day to put it back on the watch.

Now, consider James' experience with Rolex SC in Toronto. He sent his Tudor Sub date to service and was told they didn't supply military type hands any more. But they did have a military type dial for this reference, so they fitted a brand new dial together with...Mercedes hands. Here's the result:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/flanker2000fr/Tudor9411james.jpg

So there again, there is no consistency between dials and hands.

Personally, I think both watches look good the way they are, but I know some people are concerned or turned-off by such inconsistencies.

Conclusion:
- a Rolex SC will fit whatever they have in stock to service a watch regardless of consistency (at least for Tudor)
- it's better to ask what part they are going to fit to your watch. It turned out OK for me, but that may not be the case for everyone.

miboroco
07.10.2005, 10:53
8o

Ich hätte die Zeiger nicht wechseln lassen!!!

Mit solchen Uhren also immer zum Uhrmacher deines Vertrauens, aber nicht nach ROLEX :]

Thanks!!!

Insoman
07.10.2005, 10:59
just one Moment: the first watch is a non Date Model, the 2. one is a model with date

do you want to cheak us ???

spacedweller
07.10.2005, 11:08
Original von Insoman
just one Moment: the first watch is a non Date Model, the 2. one is a model with date

warum ? er beschreibt doch auch beide Uhren ....

fib
07.10.2005, 11:34
Ist die obere version eine blaue (military?)

Insoman
07.10.2005, 11:38
Original von spacedweller

Original von Insoman

warum ? er beschreibt doch auch beide Uhren ....

yo, shit, missverständnis meinerseits, sorry

Boris_Koch
07.10.2005, 15:45
To Stefan: kein Problem

To Michael: I agree that Rolex can be unpredictable as to which parts they use to service their watches (and that's why I posted this message in the first place). But I really like the military type hands as they are way easier to read in the dark than the Mercedes hands. Besides, my watch originally had military hands, so they replaced them with the same ones. Apart from that, the quality of the service is fantastic: feels like having a new watch.

To Thomas: yes, the colour is dark blue, and yes, it is a Marine nationale model. here it is before service.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/flanker2000fr/TudorMN1.jpg

And the back:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/flanker2000fr/TudorMN80Fond1.jpg

I bought the watch at a dealer located in Brest, which is one of the 2 bases where the Marine Nationale had combat divers. Unfortunately, I do not have the papers.

Now, as you see, both the hands and the dials have had a very bad luminova relume done. It had a green colour and was applied very unevenly. This is why I gave it to Rolex for service. But since I got all original pieces back (dial, superdome glasse, bezel insert), I will probably get the dial relumed professionally someday and put it back on the watch.

For the time being, I'm just "Sau-happy" :D :D :D